How do I know if my fuel tank needs secondary containment?

April 1, 2019 FAQ Fuelchief Image

The controls for hazardous substances that are liquids, or are likely to liquefy in a fire, include a requirement to be able to capture the substances in the event they are released from their primary container. This is achieved by means of a secondary containment system. Our staff have extensive experience right across the country and would love to help you today. Call us today to discuss your requirements.

Vern Hoyle for (North Island queries) 0272207653 or [email protected]

Guthrie Deck for (South Island queries) 0212209749 or [email protected] 

John Garside for special projects 021840569 or [email protected]

Denis Dardengo (Australia and International) [email protected]


As a general rule, the following sets out the threshold quantities for secondary containment

  • Petrol (not on a farm) 1000 litres
  • Petrol (on a farm) 2000 litres
  • Diesel (not on a farm) 1000 litres
  • Diesel (on a farm) 2000 litres

Quantities above these thresholds require secondary containment.


Here is a helpful link and information that may be useful. Generally, these are minefields to work through so please don’t hesitate to call one of our staff who will help you through it.





Stay Informed

For the latest in industry news and products.

Website design and development by Ideation.